Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas which is found to be highly toxic to humans. Indeed, it is often referred to as the silent killer. It can be detrimental if the CO levels in the air rise to above 35 ppm.
The high levels of carbon monoxide can be rather harmful to the health. This is owing to the fact that hemoglobin has a higher affinity for CO as compared to oxygen. Thus, as the levels of CO increase in your body, the hemoglobin’s capacity to bind to oxygen decreases.
Owing to oxygen deficiency, one can experience symptoms such as headaches, dizziness, and even death. Hence, it is important that the levels of carbon monoxide are closely monitored so that they do not reach dangerous levels. It is a carbon monoxide detector that can prove to be rather helpful in this situation.
|Nest (2nd gen)||4.7/5||4765||$$$||Check Price Now
|Kidde KN-COPP-3||4.5/5||2130||$$||Check Price Now
|First Alert CO615||4.5/5||1400||$$||Check Price Now
|Kidde Battery-Operated||4.6/5||2250||$$||Check Price Now
|First Alert CO710||4.5/5||132||$$||Check Price Now
|BRK CO250B||4.5/5||38||$$||Check Price Now
|Kidde KN-COSM-BA||4.5/5||1235||$$||Check Price Now
The thing about carbon monoxide is that it is colorless and odorless. Thus, you cannot detect its presence on your own. You will need a detector which will alert you when the levels get too high.
Many people tend to have the misconception that CO is harmful only in the winters. However, the truth is that it can prove to be a dangerous entity at any time of the year.
You cannot assume that if you have an all-electric home, there would be no internal source of carbon monoxide that you would need to be worried about. You need to keep in mind that it can travel from unit to unit with a lot of ease.
Due to these reasons, if you want to ensure optimal safety and protection, a carbon monoxide detector is something that you should contemplate purchasing. It will make sure that the poisonous gas is not able to affect you silently and catch you unawares.
Types of carbon monoxide detectors
When you head out to purchase carbon monoxide detectors, there are different types that you will come across, and you will need to decide which one is more suited to your requirement based on what you are looking for. Let us take a look at the various types of carbon monoxide detectors available.
As the name implies, these detectors are capable of providing you with two functions. Not only do they alert you to the presence of carbon monoxide, but they will also serve as a smoke detector or some other gas detector.
These detectors are equipped with a digital display screen, which provides you with pivotal information regarding the levels of carbon monoxide in your home.
If you are looking to make use of an advanced option, this is the variant that you should get. These units are capable of doing their own diagnostics. They can also be synced with home automation apps so that you would be alerted even when you are away from home.
These units are wired into the electrical grid of your home, so you would not have to worry about replacing its batteries.
This one is a simple and basic option that you will find on the market. It ensures that your safety is not compromised even when there is a power outage. However, you will need to monitor the battery regularly.
Top 7 Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Let us now provide you with some of the best options that you will find on the market when you head out to get your hands on a carbon monoxide detector.
1. Nest Protect Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarm, Battery (2nd Gen)
If you are looking for a high-quality carbon monoxide detector, this is an option that would not let you down. This unit has quite a bit to offer which is why you will find it worth every penny that it costs.
This detector does not only alert you that there is a problem. It directs you to where the problem lies. This implies that it will let you know where the carbon monoxide or smoke is coming from. You will also be directed as to what your next course of action should be.
You have the option of silencing this alarm via your phone, thereby enhancing the convenience that it has to offer you. Attention to detail has also been paid, so you can be confident that you would be alerted to the looming threats at the right time.
The detector makes use of two wavelengths of light to find slow as well as fast burning fires. You would get an alert at the right time which would enable you to control the situation before it gets out of hands.
You can connect the detector to Wi-Fi which would then ensure that you get an alert on your phone in case the battery is about to die or when the alarm goes off.
- It has a high quality
- It comprises of a smoke detector as well
- The unit is provided with a well-finished case with beautiful lighting
- The batteries are preinstalled and tend to last for a long time. Furthermore, you are alerted when the battery gets low, which ensures that you are not taken by surprise
- It is a bit expensive, so those with a tight budget would find it out of reach
2. Kidde KN-COPP-3 Nighthawk Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Alarm
This is another impressive option if you are looking to get your hands on a reliable and high-quality carbon monoxide detector.
The unit is provided with quite a few features that make it an option worth considering. For starters, it is equipped with a digital display which provides you with important information regarding the level of carbon monoxide that it can sense.
It also has a peak level button which lets you know the highest CO level that the product recorded before being unplugged. Provided with three convenient mounting options, this unit is capable of making it certain that you are alerted to the carbon monoxide levels around you without fail.
You will not have to worry about durability if this is the unit that you opt for. Thus, you can be certain that this is not the kind of purchase that you would have to regret any time down the road. It will keep you safe and satisfied for a long time to come.
- The unit is high quality and durable. Thus, it will last for a long time
- It is equipped with a digital display which alerts you to the level of carbon monoxide present around you. You also get to know the highest CO level that was detected by the alarm before being unplugged, which will keep you up to date
- It is affordable
- It is easy to operate, so you would not have to face any difficulty when it comes to using it
- It has a long battery life
- It measures 12 x 8 x 3 inches. Owing to its size, it is quite noticeable on the wall which might hamper with the style of the room that it is placed in
3. First Alert CO615 Dual Power Carbon Monoxide Plug-In Alarm
When you head out to purchase carbon monoxide detectors, this product is an option that would surely capture your attention. This is thanks to all the features that the unit is provided with. You will not feel as though money has been wasted if this is the detector that you opt for.
The unit is provided with dual power, that is, it can be powered via both electric and battery sources. This ensures that you do not have to worry about the alarm not working at any instance. It will continue to provide you with the protection you require even when there are power outages.
It is also equipped with a multi-function backlit digital screen, which ensures that you are provided with important information such as carbon monoxide levels. The screen also functions as a battery level indicator.
It is easily readable, so you would not have to face any difficulty as you try to avail information about the CO level in your house. The highest CO level is displayed on the screen since the unit was last reset.
You would also not have to mount it since the unit easily plugs into standard outlets. However, if the need does arise, you can mount it on a wall, making use of a power line cord for the purpose.
It is appealing to make use of a product whose manufacturers are willing to stand by it. This gives you the impression that the makers are confident of their product. This is why you should consider this product, as it is provided with a warranty period of 7 years.
- Equipped with a display that provides you with the required information
- Convenient and accurate
- Backed by a 7-year warranty
- You might have to face some difficulty in closing the back cover once you replace the battery
4. Kidde Battery-Operated Carbon Monoxide Alarm with a Digital Display
This is another alarm that is capable of providing you with reliable and accurate results, thereby ensuring that you do not have to be worried about your safety being compromised owing to the carbon monoxide levels.
It is equipped with quite a lot of impressive features. For starters, it provides you with rather accurate results. Furthermore, you will be alerted when the levels of carbon monoxide get dangerously high, which makes it certain that optimal safety is provided.
The unit is equipped with a large digital display. Hence, you would find it rather easy to read and would be able to get information regarding the levels of carbon monoxide being detected with a lot of feasibility.
It is also provided with a compact size which ensures that you can mount it on a wall or place it anywhere without having to worry that it would attract a lot of attention.
Meticulous attention to detail has been paid, which is why you can be sure that this unit would provide you with the results that you are looking for.
- It has a compact size which makes placement rather feasible
- The large digital display is easy to read at all times and lets you know about the highest CO concentrations measured since it was last reset
- It is battery operated, which ensures that you are protected even where there is a power outage
- Measures have been taken to provide you with optimal convenience, which is why a low battery signal is present. The unit also has a slide-out battery door cover
- It is affordable
- It has a long battery life
- As the battery is about to be fully charged, the unit tends to give off false alarms which can be quite annoying
5. First Alert CO710 10-Year Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Temperature
If it is a reliable and convenient carbon monoxide alarm that you are looking for, this is an option that would not let you down. With this unit, you can be confident that you will get the results that you are looking for. It will provide you with optimal protection.
It is equipped with a multi-function, backlit digital display which provides you with pivotal information regarding the carbon monoxide levels and the ambient room temperature. Hence, you would be able to remain up to date with the environmental levels of carbon monoxide with ease.
You can also get to know about the highest concentration of carbon monoxide that was measured by the unit before it was reset.
The First Alert CO710 is powered by sealed lithium batteries that ensure it continues to function for as long as ten years. You would not have to worry about the battery dying or its replacement.
It is also backed by a ten-year warranty which lets you know that the makers are confident of the product that they have produced.
All in all, this unit is capable of ensuring that you get results that are worth your money.
- The battery does not have to be replaced
- It is provided with a modern and compact design which makes placement rather convenient
- The long warranty period ensures that you do not have to worry about replacing the unit any time soon
- It is easy to install and operate
- It is provided with detailed instructions with regards to operation. Thus, you will not have to face any difficulty in understanding how to use it
- You are not given the option of changing the temperature setting from Fahrenheit to Celsius
- It is not provided with LED indicators, which are a feature that is offered by most of the other options out there
6. BRK CO250B Carbon Monoxide Alarm
With this carbon monoxide detector, you would not have to worry about your safety being compromised. It is capable of providing you with the protection that you seek, so you can be confident that this is not an option that you will regret getting your hands on.
For one thing, the unit is equipped with a nuisance alarm silence button. Thus, you would be able to shut off the alarm with a lot of ease.
Attention has been paid to ensure that you are provided with accurate results. This is why false alarms are not the kind of things that you will have to worry about. The BRK CO250B is also equipped with electrochemical CO sensor, which is perhaps the most accurate technology that is available for this purpose.
The detector is provided with a tamper-resistant locking pin which serves to make sure that the battery is not removed by mistake.
You are alerted when the battery levels are low, which allows you to take timely action. A power indicator also forms part of the unit.
All in all, it is apparent that the product is provided with all the features that could be of use to you, thereby ensuring that you do not feel as though you have made the wrong decision.
- The unit is high quality and would last for a long time
- It is highly accurate since it is equipped with the electrochemical CO sensor
- It is provided with a tamper-resistant locking pin which prevents accidental removal of the battery
- You will find it quite easy to install and use the product and you would not be confused
- Sometimes, the stock available on the market is old, so you will need to pay attention to the manufacturing date since this influences the performance that you get
7. Kidde Battery-Operated (Not Hardwired) KN-COSM-BA
If you want to purchase a detector about which you can be certain that it will provide you with optimal protection and accurate results, this is an option that you should take a look at.
The unit is provided with a smart 2-in-1 voice alarm which alerts you if the levels of carbon monoxide get too high or if there is a fire. Since the sound is quite high in volume, there is little chance that you would end up missing it.
It is equipped with LEDs, which will ensure that you do not have to face any difficulty while using the unit at night.
You are alerted when the battery is low so that you are not taken by surprise when it dies. It is easy to replace the battery as well, and the task is not something that would take a lot of time.
A lot of attention has been paid to ensuring that you get accurate results. The unit maintains high standards of quality and thus, you can be certain that performance is not something that you will need to worry about.
It will prove to be worth the money it costs and will ensure that you do not get disappointed with the results.
- It is quite easy to install and use the unit. Hence, you would not have to face any difficulty when it comes to using it.
- The alarm is quite loud and thus, there is little chance that you would end up missing it
- The product is quite convenient to use, so you will not find it difficult to replace the battery when the need arises
- Shutting the alarm off might be a bit of a tough task since you will have to press the button repeatedly. This can be a bit annoying.
Carbon Monoxide Detector FAQs
1. How do carbon monoxide detectors work?
Carbon monoxide detectors sound an alarm when they sense that the level of carbon monoxide in the air is high. Different mechanisms of action can be found in different sensors.
Some units are provided with a biomimetic sensor where a gel changes color when CO is absorbed, which then triggers the alarm. Other units are equipped with a metal oxide semiconductor where the silica chip’s circuitry serves to detect CO, which then lowers the electrical resistance, thereby triggering the alarm.
You will also come across detectors that have electrochemical sensors. In these products, the electrodes are immersed in a solution which detects a change in the electrical current as it comes into contact with the gas, which then triggers the alarm.
2. How many carbon monoxide detectors do you need in your house?
This depends on the layout of your house and the coverage area of the detector that you purchase. Make sure you thoroughly read the user guide of the detector you buy so that you can determine the area that it is capable of covering.
Sometimes, a single detector would suffice, while at other times, you might need to opt for multiple CO detectors to cover the entire house.
3. Where should you install a carbon monoxide detector?
It is advisable to install these detectors outside the sleeping area in your house. You need to have it on each level of the house including the basement.
4. Where does carbon monoxide come from in your house?
CO is produced as a result of combustion. Thus, it is present when fuel is burned. In the house, it can be produced by various house appliances including the likes of oil furnaces, gas refrigerators, dryers, gas water heaters, fireplaces and wood burning stoves among others. The gas can also travel from apartment to apartment.
5. What to do when your carbon monoxide alarm beeps?
It is inadvisable to try to deal with the CO on your own. If the alarm sounds, push the silence button and make a quick call to the emergency service in your area.
Then, proceed to a place where there is fresh air and make sure all your family members, neighbors, friends and anyone else in the house are outside the area of harm.
6. What not to do to stay away from carbon monoxide?
To make sure that carbon monoxide is not something that you have to be worried about, make sure there are some things that you try to avoid.
- Do not run engines in an enclosed area
- Refrain from using gas ovens and charcoal grills in your home
- Avoid sleeping in a room that has a gas or space heater
7. Does a carbon monoxide detector detect natural gas?
No, a carbon monoxide detector cannot detect the presence of natural gas.